Resources to move food from farm to table during COVID-19
The following organizations and solutions can help you donate, sell, buy, move, and store food, helping to reduce the surge in food going to waste at the farm level due to COVID-19 supply chain disruptions – contact them directly to see if their services will work for you.
We will continue to update this list as we become aware of more resources.
Please send us suggested organizations to include at firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Food Anywhere by Forager
- Forager normally connects wholesale and retail buyers with independent farmers and artisan suppliers.
- In response to COVID-19, Forager has set up a nationwide resource, Local Food Anywhere, for consumers to find local farms so they can rest easy knowing they have sourced food that’s safe for their families.
- For consumers: Search for local farms in your community that have fresh food available now and can possibly provide delivery or pick up in a safe, and easy, COVID-19 sensitive manner.
- For farmers and suppliers: If you are a farmer, producer, or grocer interested in connecting with consumers in your community, click here so we can add you to the map - our updates are in near real-time.
Project Waste Not
- For farmers and suppliers: Project Waste Not makes your content and product data available through the Open Food & Beverage Commerce Network to help grow revenues, reduce costs, and improve business operations. Click here for more information.
- For buyers: Project Waste Not helps you know your food costs in real-time, enabling you to make better purchasing decisions and reduce your total procurement cost. Click here for more information.
Local Food Marketplace
Local Food Marketplace is an online storefront with solutions for farmers, food hubs and distributors, CSAs and subscriptions, and markets. It can provide production planning, reporting, order and distribution support (harvest lists, packing lists), invoicing, payments, and more.
- For buyers: ReposiTrak is now offering their MarketPlace online sourcing tool free to retailers for quick and easy access to the world’s largest network of compliance-vetted suppliers. Learn more here.
- For farmers and suppliers: The MarketPlace enables retailers and wholesalers to search and connect with ReposiTrak’s community of food and non-food suppliers, and bring new products to market in just a fraction of the time. Learn more here.
World Wildlife Fund
WWF's No Food Left Behind series explores the drivers behind on-farm food loss and works to prototype and test possible solutions. In part three of this series (Second Helping: Can the Gig Economy Rescue Surplus Food from Farms?) WWF provides an overview of options for recovering surplus produce, including Second Helping, a platform concept to connect farm surplus with food bank demand and source part-time "gig economy" labor to harvest this surplus.