The COVID-19 pandemic has completely disrupted the food supply chain, resulting in a surge of on-farm food loss, food business closures, and a growing number of food insecure individuals. In response to these challenges, we have launched the ReFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund to quickly deliver vital funding to organizations that can rapidly scale food waste reduction and hunger relief efforts.
The ReFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund is a streamlined, one-stop, rapid response vehicle for donors who want to deliver critical support to these organizations. 100 percent of donations are directed to well-vetted food waste solution providers on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis. To date, the Fund has raised and distributed more than $3 million to organizations that expect to drive impact of more than a total of 50 million pounds of food waste prevented or 41.5 million meals rescued within 90 days.
To save as much food from the farms and get it to people in need, the organizations who applied for funds need an estimated $70 million. That's why ReFED continues to raise donations as well as showcase the work of all Fund applicants — whether they were awarded a grant or not — to help them attract additional funding and partnerships to fully scale their work. Check out the ReFED Fundable Initiatives Directory to learn more.
Donate to the fund
We are very appreciative of the many donors who have already contributed just-in-time capital needed during this extraordinary time. Through a generous gift from Betsy & Jesse Fink that covers the Fund's administration costs, 100 percent of each donation goes where it's needed most.
If you have questions about donating or want to discuss a major gift, please email Alexandria Coari at email@example.com. ReFED is a registered 501(c)(3) charity.
Please make checks payable to ReFED, Inc. and mail to: 27-01 Queens Plaza N, 13th Floor, Long Island City, NY 11101
Credit Card or Paypal
Please click here.
We also accept donations via bank wire, donor advised fund, stock, and matching gifts.
Major Gift Contributors
- Ajana Foundation
- Atticus Trust
- Betsy & Jesse Fink
- Caerus Foundation, Inc.
- Crown Family Philanthropies
- Fink Family Foundation
- Food and Nutrition Resources Foundation, Inc.
- Howard and Geraldine Polinger Family Foundation
- Jackie & Orion Hindawi
- Josie Merck
- June & Paul Rossetti
- The JPB Foundation
- The Kroger Co. Zero Hunger | Zero Waste Foundation
- Peter Welles
- Posner Foundation of Pittsburgh
- Roy A. Hunt Foundation
- Tiller Family Foundation
- Anonymous Donor
- Aditya Singh
- Amanda Jones
- Amy Theobald
- Barbara Brabetz
- Cody Hazen
- Edin Golomb
- Elizabeth Cheek
- Elisa Massenzio
- Ellen Capy
- Eric B.
- Frances Adams
- Harry Hayman
- Helen Foster
- Ida Posner
- Jennifer Nolley
- John Heimburg
- John Ryans
- Julie Ungerecht
- Kelly Gogerty
- Loida Wexler
- Marjorie Adams
- Oksana Ostrovsky
- Rich Guard
- Sandra Boston
- Sharon Tufaro
- Shauna Turnbull
- Sue Miller
- Terry Anderson
- Tony Pearson
- Vivian Kasen
- Anonymous (20)
The REFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund
Priority Solution Focus Areas
Prevention and recovery of fresh and healthy otherwise wasted food, especially at the farm level
Increase the preservation and rescue of food that would otherwise go to waste through new sales markets, donation outlets, or processing techniques.
Elimination of logistical constraints along the entire food supply chain
Increase the coordination and distribution of otherwise wasted food on a more frequent basis and in ways that account for the requirements of particular food types and form factors – as well as leveraging idle, available capacity such as cold storage.
Last-mile delivery — distributing directly to end recipients, especially vulnerable populations facing food insecurity
Increase the delivery of nutritionally-rich food to individuals in a convenient and dignified way.
The Fund supports organizations that:
Are a social enterprise, benefit corporation, for-profit company, public-private partnership, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, or fiscally-sponsored project headquartered and operating in the U.S.
Have an annual revenue or operating budget of $500,000 or more.
Support the mission of the ReFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund and are able to prevent and/or rescue U.S. food waste at least by 250 tons of food or 417,000 meals in the next 90 days.
Grant Evaluation Criteria
- Focus Area: The solution aligns with at least one of the primary focus areas of the ReFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund.
- Food Waste Impact: The solution can prevent and/or reduce a significant amount of food, especially healthy and nutritious products, from being wasted in the next 90 days (and hopefully beyond to increase resiliency of the food system long-term).
- Scalability: Extraordinary vision to drive reach and scale in a sustainable way.
- Social Impact: The solution meets the growing and dire needs of populations most heavily impacted by COVID-19, including but not limited to certain geographic locations, the elderly, and workers in the agriculture, hospitality, and healthcare industries. way.
- Team: Well-positioned with relevant experience, expertise, and partners to succeed in meeting desired outcomes during the COVID-19 crisis, with a preference for organizations that prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion.